Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I'm getting dizzy

Not because I'm drunk, thank you very much. This whole Cubs situation has made me pretty sick to my stomach, basically since mid-2004. That was when I first started questioning Dusty Baker's managerial abilities. However, I still thought Jim Hendry was a competent GM. That didn't last too long, and if nothing else, this past off-season proved that that was in fact far from the truth.

Anyways, when I first heard that Andy MacPhail had resigned, I thought that this was awesome news. If the top guy is leaving, then the rest of the dudes under him should be leaving too, right? Well, I guess not so much. In all of the reading I've done about it, I am not at all confident with what is happening with the Cubs right now.

So here's what I'm happy about, aside from MacPhail being gone. Dusty's gone, along with the rest of the incompetent coaching staff, including Larry Rothschild. This is just great because while it would probably be easy to hire someone who is just as bad (but who makes rules) as Dusty, but we couldn't possibly be any worse. Also, with the rest of the coaches out, maybe we can get some coaches who can actually help our young players. And maybe someone who won't hurt our pitching staff.

Now the bad news. First, Hendry stays. Why does he stay? He has shown moves of brilliance, but has also made boneheaded moves (Neifi, and basically every move since then). Why bring in Jacque Jones for 3 years when no one wants him anyways? I can see one year, maybe with an option for 2, but 3? Might as well run John Mabry out there. Oh, we did, but at first. But I digress. With Hendry staying, that means that he will have an influence over the next coach. I would hope that he learned in the past that you can't just look at recent success as an indicator of a good coach or not, because Dusty was by no means anything close to an adequate coach. In addition to this, we're now reliant on Hendry to re-build this team halfway from scratch, as he's had to do basically every year. The goal for an offseason should be to improve, not to plug holes using stopgap measures.

More bad news. The new president of the Cubs is a dude with no baseball experience. Dusty Baker wouldn't like that. Where are the Hank Aaron stories? Anyways, I like what McDonough says, but will he really follow through? He's a marketing guy, his job is to lie to get you interested. Another problem: he's relying heavily on Jim Hendry. And from Hendry's recent success, you can see why that would be a problem.

Also, there have been rumors that MacPhail basically resigned in late July-early August. Then why wasn't a successor picked? Did they not even look? There have been rumors that the Tribune is going to put the Cubs up for sale. I think this would be a great move. However, two problems. If it isn't done immediately, then new ownership won't get in soon enough to make any legitimate changes. Two, usually teams being sold cut payroll significantly, and/or payroll is cut right after teams are purchased.

Now I have hopes for the Cubs to get new ownership (Mark Cuban can buy a championship easily enough I bet, which is all we need), get an actual baseball guy in as President and CEO (Steve Stone) and get a competent GM. It just seems like it's going to take a while for it all to happen. So, as of right now, I'm pretty sure that next year will suck for the Cubs. But hopefully some time before 2008, everything will fall into place and something good will happen. Finally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home