Monday, October 02, 2006

What could be the happiest day of my life

Yes, I have a case of the Mondays. Yes, looking at a poster of a kitty hanging in there is so ridiculous it makes me laugh (sidenote: you should have seen some of the pictures I found on Google when searching for those pictures, most notably one kitten aiming a gun at its head). But today is a day of hope. Dusty Baker will lose his job today.

Not that he's really losing his job. His contract is up, he won't be retained. That's obvious. But, I've got reason to believe that this team may be headed for some sort of a change. And, I'm a Cubs fan, so obviously i'm naive and optimistic whenever a change is made.

Yesterday Andy MacPhail announced he was resigning as CEO of the Cubs. Now, my thinking the entire season was that Baker, his entire coaching staff, Hendry, and MacPhail all needed to be fired. While it's not looking like that will happen, still there's already one step.

Next, it looks like Dusty and his coaches will be canned. Good riddance to almost everyone. Keep Gary Matthews or something, I liked him. Nah, don't keep him. However, it looks like the cancer to the pitching staff, pitching coach Larry Rothschild, will be sticking around. While this isn't great news, at all, the fact that basically the rest of the coaches are gone is miraculous. I've been dreaming of this day for about 18 months, and finally it's here.

Also, I wish Hendry was on his way out. But based on interm CEO John McDonough's comments, Hendry will be staying. Awesome. As long as we can trade away all decent prospects to rent a player for one season, then not trade him while his value is high just to let him go at the end of the season. Brilliant.

But it sounds like Hendry should get a chance to make some moves. And we all know that MacPhail wasn't really a competent team President anyways, so maybe McDonough will give Hendry a little freedom to go out and get someone decent or something.

McDonough is confident, and while he's probably lying in my face and everyone else's, I have just as much faith in him that I did in MacPhail. Actually, much much more. Also, McDonough may or may not be a prick, but as far as I know he isn't. So I like him more. And he wants to bring passion to the team. As long as he puts in a coach who will make some fucking rules and practice, I'm down.

So when the Cubs announce today that Dusty is no longer collecting paychecks from the Cubs, I will dance. I may also cry. Beautiful tears of joy. Seriously, this team was last in the NL. We can't possibly do any worse than we already are. No matter who comes in, this team might have some slight chance. And that's reason for optimism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home