Monday, October 02, 2006

An amazing weekend (sports)

I already posted my excitement about my Cubs thoughts, but allow me, if you will, to expand on why this was such an amazing weekend for sports.

First, Saturday. We turned on the Illini game against the stupid MSU Spartans, fresh off of their blowing of the game against Notre Dame and it was just the start of the second half. I saw the score was 10-3, and I had to do a double take. Literally, I did a double take. I actually had to rewind to the DVR to make sure I'd just seen what I thought I saw, and I was right. Illinois was winning. This is the same team that was down 30-0 after the first half of their game against Rutgers.

Illinois looked pretty impressive. I haven't seen them have any sort of a pass rush since, I don't know, Kevin Hardy/Simeon Rice days, when I only got to see like 1 game, so that was awesome. I'm not even sure the pass rush was that great either, but coverage seemed to be so good downfield that the QB couldn't make any throws. Also, the Juice was poised, and the Spartans let him get loose. They should know they can't do that. But in addition, Pierre Thomas looked great. And just when I thought the team would just go into overtime and hope they could hold on, Juice completes a pass downfield, and we manage to get into field goal range. Now we're tied with Iowa in the conference. And it's not last! I haven't had this feeling in years.

Second, the Cubs news. Add into that the fact that the Cubs fired Dusty Baker today and the fact that I won't have to watch them suck again until March and I can't help but be overjoyed. It's very possible this team could be just as bad but with worse players in the very near future, since the interim CEO doesn't have any experience owning a baseball team. But, I stand by the fact that Andy MacPhail fell into everything he achieved anyways, so it may not be a bad thing.

Finally, how about the Bears. That was a beatdown of epic proportions. Not even a picture of kittens hanging in there can make the Seahawks feel better about what happened last night. It was glorious to behold: the anger on Mike Holmgren's face, the dejected look on Matt Hasselbeck's face after getting sacked again, the scoreboard, anything Tommie Harris does.

Seriously, Tommie Harris might as well get defensive player of the year honors right now. In fact, you could argue that at least half of the entire Bears defense should be starting in the Pro Bowl. I know the defense was great last year, but it seems like they're that much better this year, and I don't even know how it happened. But I love it. And I was kind of pissed off about Ricky Manning Jr. coming in, but I'd say he's a solid nickel-back, so I'm fine with it. And I'm fine with his 2 picks last night.

On top of that, the O-line opened up a couple of nice holes. And I saw Thomas Jones do something for once. That one gain he had where he made the cutback at the line and took off for about 20 downfield was awesome. But then to see Cedric Benson take off on his own long run was amazing. I feel so confident about this team this season. Not only are we one of the fastest defenses, but we're probably the strongest and deepest. And we're relentless. And then our offense is big and strong too. We either overpower smaller, faster d's, or we just wear them out.

I know the '85 Bears just missed going undefeated, and I can't really say I expect this team to go undefeated, especially seeing the Jets and Pats play this weekend. But still, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it did happen. Or maybe we go 15-1 and let Orton play in the last game of the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home