Thursday, September 28, 2006

Getting a head start on next season

The 2006 Cubs season hasn't officially come to a close yet, even though the Cubs are most likely to forfeit the three games they have left this season. Actually, I take that back, Zambrano pitches Friday, so they'll most likely win that one. But anyways, It's just good to see that they're already getting a head start on next season.

On chicagosports.com today, in the notes section is says that the Cubs may bring in Tony Graffanino for next season as a utilityman. I've got to say, I could not be more excited. If there's anything that history has shown us, it's that winning baseball teams are built around light hitting utility players, so you might as well make them your top priority. Take, Neifi Perez. Please (rimshot). He was solely responsible for getting the Cubs into the playoffs the last two seasons and helping them to win the team with the most average utility players award for 2 consecutive seasons, in addition to winning this World Series. What's that? They haven't been in the playoffs, there's no such reward as having most utility players, and they didn't win the World Series?

Well, I think it's obvious what this means. History is a lying bitch. Jim Hendry couldn't possibly wrong. In fact, he's so not wrong, he's going to continue bringing in as many utility players as possible to prove it.

In all seriousness, who do we have for the team next year? Izturis, Cedeno, Freddie Bynum, Ryan Theriot. Four f'ing players under contract for next season, and three of them can play 3rd, SS and 2nd (I've yet to see Bynum play anything defensively, as he's terrible). Why would you need to bring in Graffanino? Just so you can bring in some light hitting dude to replace another dude who's younger, quicker and possibly just as light hitting?

Also, I'm not so convinced that Hendry will be back next year. He probably shouldn't be pondering moves he'll make as soon as contracts are up until he gets a guarantee he'll be around. So he really shouldn't be pondering moves he'll make.

On another, more Dusty hating note, I caught part of the game last night. Of course, a young pitcher, average at best, was shutting the Cubs down. Well, I saw Matt Murton hit a leadoff triple in the 6th. Then I saw John Mabry come up.

You know Dusty Baker tries to not look at stats, so his mind doesn't get clouded with his gut feelings about who he should play. So, he must not have any idea how John Mabry is hitting. Mabry only plays against right handed pitchers, since he's a lefty. And he's still only hitting .206. For shit's sake, let somebody young play who at least has a chance to improve themself, rather than some old dude who's well past his prime. And when I say well past, I mean he's about 6 years past his prime and probably shouldn't be in baseball any more.

Well, needless to say, the Cubs didn't score a run. Of course, out of rage, I stopped watching the game as soon as Mabry came up to bat. I went into a seizure when I realized how self-contradictory and all around stupid Dusty Baker is, and when I came to I'd changed the channel. I accidentally switched back to see no run scored, and managed to avoid a second seizure. But then I saw that Blanco missed a suicide squeeze sign, thus causing the runner to be out.

How could he miss the sign? My guess is because he's never seen it before in his life, he was so confused he didn't think it was a real sign. Dusty never does anything like that. Also, all you need iss a fucking fly ball, why would you suicide squeeze with a fucking catcher up?

3 more games, 3 more games, 3 more games...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home