Friday, October 13, 2006

Thoughts

So the Cubs continue to do it. Kudos to goatriders.org for doing research and finding out what fans think about prospective coaches' abilities, because if all we were left to trust were the points of view from outsiders, or worse, the media, we would think most of the prospective coaches were awesome based on their history. Of course, as we learned with Ol' DoubleSwitch, this is not always an accurate representation of a manager's abilities.

So now the frontrunner for the Cubs seems to be Bruce Bochy. Why? I'm not really sure. Based on everything that I've seen on goatriders.org, all of the managers the Cubs are interested in are almost exactly the same. They are average at best in their ability to manage in-game, they love veterans, even unproven ones (Freddie Bynum anyone?) and their players seem to love them.

So here's what I'm thinking. Dusty proved it wasn't hard to get your players to like you. Just let them do whatever they want. It works with little kids too. It's called spoiling them. Actually, those kids grow up to be assholes. And players go on to be underachieving lazy bastards. Or just content. Whatever, it was a pretty weak metaphor to begin with.

Anyways, I don't see why the Cubs are looking all at one kind of manager. Also, I don't see why they can't just let Girardi manage. If there's one thing I think Girardi has over all of these managers is that he's young enough that I think he would be willing to adapt his style. You get guys like Piniella or (perhaps) Bochy and they think that if the team can't win with their style of managing, then the players are wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I want a disciplinarian. I'm not sure if Bochy is that guy, but he's taken more than one Padres team that I wouldn't fear into the playoffs. And, sure, they play in the same division as the Rockies, so it's tough to finish last, but still.

I really don't know what the Cubs should do. Although I would be extremely interested in seeing Davey Johnson manage the Cubs. How awesome would that be? From reading the evaluations of these coaches, I'm growing to love the Earl Weaver style of baseball even more, because it's different and we've already had guys try to win by doing the little things shittily.

Ok, on another note, the Illini Midnight Madness is tonight. But is there something missing? You're damn right there is. Eric Gordon. Why the fuck isn't he going to be on campus tonight? Why the hell did he cancel his visit last week? Here's my problem. I respect the Gordon family, and I was extremely impressed with their answers as to why he chose the Illini. However, they're now listening to IU for some ungodly reason. Here's my question to that:

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??? I don't care if you pull your verbal commitment off the table, which I'm sure happened a couple months ago. But you can't expect to have conversations with the IU staff and not expect people to question. And, maybe it's just that you really wanted to go to IU but hated its direction, so you chose the Illini. And if you're a die-hard IU fan, then you would want to go there with a new coach and new direction maybe. But why would you choose the Illini so soon? Also, you say that unless you've said something different, the commitment is still there. So why aren't you coming to Midnight Madness? Because you saw it last year? That better be the only fucking reason.

Seriously, I can't see one logical reason to choose IU over Illinois unless you've got some sort of tie to the team (and I don't mean your younger brother wanting to go there). Kelvin Sampson hasn't won anything, especially recently. He's got recruting violations against him. He's produced absolutely 0 NBA guards. He runs a slow offense.

Now let's consider Bruce Weber. Motion offense, encourages guards to be creative. Has produced 2 first-round guards in the past 2 years, with 4 out of 5 players being drafted from the Nation runner-up team in 2005. He didn't recruit those players? True. Did you see them before he arrived on campus? They blew. Relatively speaking of course. Anyways, Weber also has 0 recruiting violations, he's built a winner with SIU, and now he's trying to build back up a program that its former coach has helped to lure prospects away from (in some manner at least).

I realize I'm probably just repeating everyone else's arguments over and over. But whatever. If you're into having your development into a top NBA prospect hurt, and like playing for a loser who has no respect, go to IU Mr. Gordon. I'll just bring up 3 names of players coached by Bruce Weber who are playing in the NBA. Troy Hudson, Deron Williams, Luther Head. That's all I've got. For now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home