Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Decatur tale

So I recently remembered this story and I thought it was kind of funny, and more just bizarre, so I decided I would share it. This happened to me last year while I was living in Decatur, IL, and the night sticks out pretty vividly in my mind.

So I worked in Decatur and I got off work at 3:30 p.m., as did most of the other people who were paid salary and making less than $60,000 annually. In fact, some people making over that still got off at 3:30. But I digress. So one of the guys who sat in the same cubicle as me was asking the two guys I worked with if they wanted to go out for a drink after work. They both declined, and then he got to me.

Obviously I've never been one to turn down a drink, so I agreed to go. So we got to the bar that was like .25 miles from where I worked. Ordered the first drink, drank it, talked. Ordered the second drink, drank it, talked more. I think I was planning on stopping when another one of the guy's friends showed up, so I had a third drink. Also I turned down a shot of tequila.

So I just get started onto my third drink when the guy's wife calls. Now he was maybe in his early 40's. Well, I think they were just having a normal conversation, and all of a sudden either he or his wife hugely overreact to something said. I can't remember who, as this was well over a year ago. Anyways, what followed was maybe the most awkward 20 minutes of my life (up to that point). Nope, I take that back. It was probably top 3 though.

We had been sitting at the bar. Well, he just starts yelling into the phone. While still sitting at the bar. I can't really remember specifically what he was saying, but I can remember that the argument was about one of the dumber things I've ever heard. I think it was because the wife hadn't gotten a babysitter (they were going out for dinner that night) and because he was drinking after work instead of going home(?). So, thankfully, after about 5 minutes of this, he gets up and goes outside. I see him pacing back and forth on the phone. His friend was still there, so we talked a little, but it was just a very very awkward time.

So he comes back in after he gets done yelling. He asks what I'm doing later that night as his night has apparently opened up. I tell him I'm free, so he asks if I want to go out later. I'm like, what the hell.

So I drive home, shower, and then I head back out. We go to this place called the Lone Oak which is kind of like a place for bikers (easy-going ones) and I guess they have great wings like one night a week. So I get there, I have no idea where he is, then I find him. He's at a table with 3 old dudes. So I sit down, there's some weird conversation, I make sure to get a beer.

We eat, he pays (also, he paid the drink tab which was like $57), and then he goes to talk to some lady friend. He's talking to her, I'm left talking to these old dudes who I have nothing in common with, and I have no idea what they're talking about. Probably fiber diets and the olden days.

So then he comes back over to me, tells me he's going to this other bar. It's another biker bar, but it's pretty rough. But as long as I'm with him I'll be ok. But he's only going for one drink and leaving as soon as he finishes. I was like, well, uh, I think I'll just end this blast of a not-awkward-at-all night and head home when I finish my beer.

So he leaves, I'm left to converse for about 5 more minutes, mostly about the state of New Orleans (this was just after Katrina and I'll spare everyone what the redneckish people were saying, as their opinions have no value). Thankfully, I finished my beer, and then went home.

Just to finish the story, I think he ended hanging out with his lady friend well into the night, who was not his wife, and he said something about ending up in a hot tub somewhere until 3 in the morning. I chose to tune the rest out for the sake of not puking my intestines out. Such a weird night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home