Tuesday, January 16, 2007

More profanity on TV this week involving a Saints game?

Hopefully most everyone has seen the picture of the lady in the shirt that said "Fuck da Eagles" on national television. That is, if no one saw it live. Which leads me to question whether or not Bears fans will try to sneak profanity onto the screen this week when the Bears play the Saints. Of course, it's not like that lady was trying to sneak anything onto the screen, aside from maybe her abdomen. We were watching the game, I was drunk, and it was like, uh did I just see that?

So anyways, I thought I would string together some of my thoughts on the Bears game. And, obviously, I'm way behind schedule since I didn't work yesterday and I'm too lazy to actually post things while at home. Well, in many cases at least. It gives me something to do at work.

Anyways, first things first, the correct Rex Grossman showed up on Sunday. And when I say correct, I mean for Bears fans. Fuck the Seahawks fans. That bomb he threw to Bernard Berrian was just immaculate. I almost cried tears of beautiful, beautiful joy when I saw that. Ok, who am I kidding, of course I cried.

And, again, Cedric Benson was underused. I'm not going to say that Thomas Jones did poorly, except there are absolutely a couple instances when he did. But Benson is just the better runner. And you see it time and time again, when each one gets in the open field. Thomas Jones is completely unable to make anyone miss. He also runs out of bounds. Meanwhile, Cedric Benson runs through guys. There were a couple different times that it took at least 3 guys to get him down. You will never see that from TJ.

The drops were big for the receivers. Specifically Muhammed's drop was the worst, because it took us out of range for everything. Then, coming back from that pick, we go absolutely nowhere. Which brings me to my next point:

Where the fuck did the playcalling go? It was absolute shit for most of the second half. It seemed like the entire game we were simply content to have any lead over the Seahawks. There was no urgency in playcalling to go up by any more points. I just can't understand how we seemed to score so easily on one drive, then have maybe 2 go for like 20 yards each until 3 consecutive shit-called plays. And how were we ok with going into OT without even taking a shot? The Seahawks had a terrible secondary and we did shit to expose it. It was amazing that in the OT we FINALLY chose to run a seam-route. And what about not letting Gould kick a 49 yard field go? If you're going to pooch it, you might as well just take the delay of game, put your punter in, and knock them inside the 10. The conservative playcalling is just so confusing when it shows up. You can play to not lose or you can play to win. Run up the score. Who cares.

And what about Maynard? His game was shitty. The best punt he had all day was a touchback. I'll take that back, I think his first punt was good too. The rest, though, were shit. Hester sucked (for the most part) too. He had the return called back, but other than that, there were the 3 or so kicks he muffed. That will need to change.

In addition, we also need to remember that Tillman should have been able to take the interception back for a TD. If he gets that pick, the game changes completely. Anyways, as it is, we won, and now we've got the Saints.

So what do we need to work on.

Special teams obviously. Gould was fine, but no one else was.

Pass coverage. There were too many times that the Seahawks just looked to move the ball effortlessly against our secondary. Luckily for us, if we could hold them to 3rd and short they couldn't do shit. The Saints are gonna come with 5-wide, multiple looks, it's going to be tough. We need to look at exactly what the Redskins did to beat them and copy it exactly.

Blitz pickups. Grossman needs to learn to hold onto the ball until he's ready to throw it. It flops out of his hands too often. But so many times the Seahawks brought Tatupu off the end right into Grossman's face and he had no time to get rid of the ball. Sidenote: How about that Benson block. If a linebacker goes high, you make him pay for it. It sucked to see him come down wrong, but still, that's what you get when you go high on Benson.

Running game. Seriously, this doesn't need much work. I suggest we make Benson #1, Peterson #2 (he's more explosive and probably just as slippery as TJ) and trade Jones. Ok, so that's not feasible right now, and probably won't ever happen, we at least need to make Benson #1.

Blitzing. Why do the Bears never blitz any more? I admit, when we had Tommie Harris and Tank on the line, we didn't really need to, but a lot of the time we don't get the pressure on the QB that we used to. And if blitzing can cause a QB to struggle (see: Grossman, Rex) why not do it? I loved seeing Urlacher come through and smoke Hasselbeck. Let's see it more often.

The Saints definitely scare me, because their offense is so potent. I just hope the style of play maintains at such a high level, and I'll definitely be more ok with a loss than if we get blown out. But to say that I'll be ok with a loss is probably a fat lie.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home