Friday, July 06, 2007

Chicago sports roundup

Because I'm too lazy to really write about anything, I'm just going to make this one all-encompassing post on the Chicago sports scene in the past couple days. At least the relevant scene. Fuck the White Sox.

The Cubs just complete a 4-game series win over the Nationals, and even on scrub day. Jacque Jones gets two meaningless doubles, but can't do shit with men on base OR against lefties. If I were Jacque Jones, and I'd seen my playing time dissipate, I think I would probably try and, you know, improve on my weaknesses. Especially if they're being presented for the world to see on a nightly basis. But, hey, self-improvement is obviously overrated in some people's mind. And he's got about $4.5 million reasons to say fuck it this year, about about another $5 million reasons for next year. So I guess if he's content, then cool. But, you won't be content in Chicago. Dickface.

Also, Cesar Izturis did something last night. He didn't really field to well, and his inability to yield to the 3rd baseman (which is something you learn very early) could have caused serious injury to Ramirez. But, hey, it's not like Ramirez is important to the team at all. Cesar certainly is though. And, did anyone notice, that although Koyie Hill is hitting a stellar .151 (I'm not calling for a replacement, just noting that it's low) Izturis was still put BEHIND him in the order? That's not exactly a vote of confidence.

So those are the Cubs. On to the Bears, who have reopened negotiations with Lance Briggs. Why? Well, probably because Briggs's agent wants to get paid. And the Bears have done a pretty solid job of playing hardball. I mean, sure they're cheap. But this is one issue where I think they're legitimately being cheap. And, honestly, I don't really care any more. I'm sure we can get something solid for Briggs if we trade him, and I doubt we end up letting him sit out 10 games or whatever. Although, if we do, it's his own fucking fault, and I could care less.

Now, the Bulls. In keeping with moves that fuck with my mind, they actually re-signed Nocioni. Now I stated how drafting Noah was reasonable with the liability that was Nocioni on his way out anyways, and a sign and trade with Nocioni would allow Noah to move right in. So now we give Noce a fucking 5 year contract??? When MEMPHIS WANTS HIM. It's not like Memphis has any players we'd be interested in though. They don't have an inside scoring presence who would like to play for a contender and who was very nearly traded to the Bulls (according to rumors) last year. Nope. I'm glad. Because I would feel like that was a missed opportunity to get the superior player, and then we're stuck with the inferior one at a very, very shitty contract. For 5 years. When that inferior player missed a portion of this past year to do a recurring injury anyways. Phew, what a mistake that would have been.

I get that Nocioni for Gasol doesn't happen straight up. You know who else the Bulls don't really need? Ben Gordon. Hell, I think that gives the Grizz too much. There's no way the Bulls do a sign and trade with Nocioni now.

Also, it's not like I hate Nocioni terribly. But where does he fit on this roster when he's making that much? He's not better than Tyrus Thomas. Offensively, yes, but Ty is also, like, fucking 21. And, to repeat, we probably could have gotten Gasol in a trade. But, anyways, back to Nocioni. His +/- is terrible. When he's on the floor we give up points and leads. He'll take the occasional charge, which is probably closer to a flop (but whatever), I just think he is out of place. And he certainly should not be making that kind of money. You know who's definitely out though? Ben Gordon. They don't have the money to have so many untouchable players, yet also be able to extend these guys.

I'm still waiting to be wowed by what the Bulls are doing this summer. And you know what? I don't think I'm going to see it. We're basically taking in the exact same team we had last year. And if we're relying on experience to propel us forward, I think we've seen in the past (i.e. this year) that additional experience is only going to take us so far.

Maybe Luol Deng turns into Michael Jordan and the Bulls begin a dynasty? Yeah, I don't think so either. But, fucking shit, when there are players out there to be had and we just sit back and re-sign Nocioni, that just fucking bothers me. Come on Paxson, impress me here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home