Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Two weeks and counting

I probably should have written this yesterday, but what are you going to do. I didn't have the inspiration (that is to say, I had no inspiration) that I have today (which is very little). What I do have, however, is plenty of boredom. So with Opening Day now under 2 weeks away, why not give an update as to what's going on with the Cubs.

First up: Zambrano, still without a contract extension. He said he wanted one done before Opening Day, or he would wait until after the season. He may still be willing to give the Cubs a hometown discount should they not get an extension done before the beginning of the season, but why take the chance? Just give him the extension (it will probably be cheaper now than later) and get it over with.

The Cubs are also interested in acquiring Clint Barmes from the Rockies. There's a great idea. I'd heard rumors that the Cubs were looking for another middle infielder, although I'm not really sure why. I mean, I would hope it would be to replace the offensive black hole that is Neifi Perez #2. But I can't confirm that that is why. I actually think it would be a mistake to bring in a middle infielder with poor range to replace/spell Cesar Izturis. The one thing that Izturis does is field the ball. As terrible at hitting as he is, I currently am semi-comfortable with him playing.

Here is what Barmes did last year: .220 BA, .264 OBP. Youch. We like his game? I mean, he's 28, so he could still improve, and he did well the season before, but .220? That's painful. Here's Izturis: .245 BA, .295 OBP. The sad thing about that is it looks good compared to Barmes. Maybe Barmes can make a turnaround. But he's not having a stellar spring, so I don't really know why the Cubs like his game. They hate offense and guys who get on base?

Other rumors I've heard are that the Cubs have a reasonable chance to trade Jacque Jones. I personally think this would be pretty great. We all know that Jones has suspect defense, and we all know about his slow start last year. If we trade Jones, possibly for a middle infielder or *gasp* a prospect(! probably wouldn't happen though), we can bring up Pie, who tore it up this spring. Pie gives you very solid defense in center, you can move Soriano over to right and take advantage of his strong arm, and then everybody's happy. Plus, with the firepower this team has at the top of the lineup, you can bat Pie down in the lineup (probably in front of Izturis) where he's under less pressure. Also, just to reiterate, PECOTA lists him as batting in the upper .280's this season.

The final rumor I've heard (I think, at least recently) is that the Cubs may have a trading partner in the Marlins, who are interested in Angel Pagan. I'm not exactly sure what you could get for Pagan, but I don't think it's outlandish to think we could trade Pagan for Dontrelle Willis, straight up. Right? Seriously, we'd probably get a lower-grade prospect, or possibly a backup infielder or something. I don't really know, but it does clear room on the 25-man roster.

Man, I can't wait for this season to start.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home