Thursday, December 28, 2006

Cubs for the week

I used to love the week after Christmas. I got to play with all the new toys I got, and I didn't have anything to do. At all. I wasn't worried about New Year's because one of my friends or I would have people over that night. And there would be much youthful shenanigans. Even as I grew up, I still loved having absolutely nothing to do for a week. What's that? Sure, I'd love 2 weeks of no classes. Thanks.

And now today. I'm stuck at work with very little to do, and I'm positive it's nothing that couldn't wait an extra couple of days. And a ton of people are actually not at work at all. So when I'm reading online blogs, it's much harder to find entertainment with no new material.

Speaking of no new material, I present to you the Cubs. Still have Jason Marquis on the roster, eating up $21 million over the next three years. I consider him like a black hole. He eats that $21 million, and he also sucks all talent from the pitching staff. He is worthless and I will probably never be happy with him on the team.

Hendry has done a pretty good job of improving the offense. I have no problem with the Soriano deal. None. Hell, if the Cubs are shitty for a year or two his name may come up in trade rumors and I doubt we'd need to eat much of the salary. So I'm not worried about length. And we obviously have the money for it.

DeRosa could be an awesome signing too. Here we get a dude for roughly what we paid Mike Remlinger who's younger, plays everyday and is much more versatile. I think when we evaluate what he can do for us, we should always keep in mind Mike Remlinger. And if he doesn't play like he should, Theriot will be waiting.

My problem with Hendry is that he seems to get so caught up in being in love with a player that all logic and sensibility goes out the window. And when I say 'being in love with a player,' I mean that he is truly in love with the player. You know. In the gay way. Players like this include Neifi Perez, um, possibly Glendon Rusch. Basically everyone whose contract he extended way before necessary.

There is absolutely no reason to spend so much money on Shitty Marquis. We totally outbid ourselves, and all we needed to do was give him 1 year, $3 million. If he doesn't take it, fuck him. (This of course obviously pre-supposes that we were destined to sign Marquis, which sucks for us anyways, because Hendry was absolutely head over heels in love. I would have never offered him a contract in the first place, but then again, I try to follow baseball and understand it, so that's probably where Hendry and I differ.)

Then you've got Cliff Floyd. Since he was with the Marlins there were rumors he would be a Cub. At least going back to the 2000 season, there were rumors the Cubs wanted him in left field, or that he would be involved in a deal to get Sosa out of Chicago.

Cliff Floyd was a solid player back in 2000. I would have been glad to have him. Even when Sosa was dealt, I think I would have been fine with getting back Cliff Floyd in the deal (he would have been much better than Hairston). But it's not 2004. It's not 2000. It's going to be the 2007 season.

Cliff Floyd hit around .266 last year (I checked the actual stat a while ago and can't remember the actual number, but I was incorrect when I first implied he hit in the .240s). He was also hurt for a large portion of the year.

We all know what Matt Murton did last year, as I can't stop talking about it in this argument. So why do we need Cliff Floyd to platoon with Murton? Please, please can't someone clear up this egregious mistake of an idea?

Here's what we need to do. I will be fine if we bring in Cliff Floyd, assuming we trade Jacque Jones. Trade Jacque to anyone who will take him, try to bring back a starter. Then look for a center fielder. Soriano can probably play it, but if we can find better, then why wouldn't we? Oh, yeah, we're the Cubs.

I'm getting nervous now that Hendry has gotten complacent with this team. Much like how he was most of last season. 'Oh, Derrek Lee will be out for months with an injury? Well, we'll see how we perform before I do anything about it.' He's complained before about how hard it is to get a deal done early in the season, but if we're without a center fielder, what is he going to do?

So. Let's trade Marquis to the Nationals for Ryan Church, and we'll pay $3 million/year of Marquis's contract. Hell, we'll pay $4 million/year. It's still less than what we'd pay if we actually had him. Church becomes our starting center fielder, Soriano in right, Murton in left.

Let's trade Neifi 2 and Jacque Jones to the Indians for Jake Westbrook. Or the Orioles for, say, Erik Bedard, or one of their dude's who still seemingly has potential. Wait, scratch that Orioles suggestion. Trade those two for whoever will take them and give us back a pitcher with low walk totals. That's all I need.

Then our infield has Ramirez, DeRosa/Theriot/Cedeno in some combination up the middle and DLee. Our rotation is Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Miller/Prior/Marshall/Cotts/Marmol/Guzman/Ryu/Mateo battle it out for the final two spots. And, please put the young guys on a pitch count! I'm normally against pitch counts, but the fewer times they throw 120 pitches the better.

So there. It's simple.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home