Thursday, September 21, 2006

What are you gonna do (shrugs)?

Last night was a great game for the Cubs. I turned on the game in the bottom of the third inning to see no score and Les Walrond pitching. He struck out 5 of his first 6 batters. I thought to myself, damn Les Walrond, when did you get surprisingly good? But then I heard Len and Bob talking about the first inning when Walrond had 2 on and managed to get a strike out to get out of the inning. Walrond actually mowed down the Phillies in the third, so I was like, wow, where did this come from? Then I turned the game off. I caught Dan Plesac being an idiot on the post-game show luckily. I hate him.

Anyways, I saw Walrond made it through the night with 3+ innings. He struggled without me watching apparently. He struck out 6, but walked 5. So, luckily for the Cubs pitching staff, they're going to finish at the top of the league in both. But there's obviously no relation between walking 8 guys/game and losing nearly 100 games, right Double Switch McGoo? It's only a coincidence that we're 16 walks away from the record set in 2000, when the team lost 97 games, obviously.

When asked if the organization needed to change it's philosophy regarding giving up so many walks, Dusty laughed in everyone's face, shrugged, said you need to tip your cap to the other team, and then said why change what's working for you? Actually he said 'you need to get strike 1 first and keep the leadoff man off base'.

I'm glad that Dusty understands one of the cardinal rules of baseball. Of course, how is he supposed to instill that in players? They didn't play with Hank Aaron. He's trying his best, telling them all stories about Hank Aaron, but they need to make the connection. There's only so much he can do for them as a 'coach' that truly involves as little 'coaching' as possible. However, what he's not short on are excuses, and I would assume that he really loves the sound of his voice. I would also assume that most of what comes out of his mouth is contradictory bullshit.

Also, what's the deal with the bullpen usage? I remember hearing one of the things that Baker excelled at when he came from the Giants was his bullpen usage. Well, tell me why you'd take someone out in the fourth inning, then put in a short relief guy? Especially if you're already having trouble with your bullpen being overused. Not only does he bring in a short relief guy, but as soon as he comes up in the order, better pinch hit for him. Why would you want a pitcher in the game to make an out when you could have, oh, i don't know, John Mabry come in and make an out so you can't use that pitcher any more?

I can't wait until this season is over. I will feel like a kid on Christmas morning who finds out that in addition to Santa, the Easter Bunny decided to stop by, as did the Tooth Fairy, and everyone decided to give plenty when the season ends and I see that the Cubs won't renew Baker's contract. Of course, should they make the inexplicable decision to bring him back, I will feel like a kid who just woke up and found out he was in hell and they're conducting a NAMBLA meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home