Monday, September 18, 2006

The Best Wedding Ever

This past weekend I had the honor of attending the best weekend ever. For those of you who read this (if anyone does) and don't know some of my friends, here is the cast of characters for the story about to take place:

Brooke: my date, friend from IWU
Meg: maid of honor, friend from IWU
Reed: Meg's boyfriend
Anne: bridesmaid, friend from IWU
Bride: friend from h.s. and IWU
Brandon: Anne's date
Ashley: bridesmaid, friend from h.s.

Ok, with that out of the way, I think I can get to the story. Well, first, I thought about going to this wedding alone, sans date, until I talked to Bride and she told me that the only people I'd know would be on the wedding party. So I decided it would be even too awkward for me to go stag, but I'll get to that a little later.

So we show up at the wedding, and it's a virtual who's who of people I somewhat recognize, as I used to date the sister of the groom (there's where the awkwardness comes in). It was a nice wedding, and it was a Catholic (read: LONG) service, so we left at about 2:45 I think. Reception started at 5 about 40 minutes from the church, and me, being the only one from the area of our little cast not in the wedding party, was going to lead the pack of cars. We all had rooms at the same hotel, so we drove there first. However, how could we pass up beer and football on a beautiful Saturday afternoon? We couldn't, so on the way we stopped at a bar to watch Michigan-Notre Dame. After the first quarter we left, and got to the hotel about 4:15. Hung out for about half an hour, then were ready to leave for the reception.

Note: Reception was about 15 minutes from hotel. There were four of us at the hotel, and 3 cars. We decided to pass on taking all 3 cars to the reception. I asked if anyone would be staying sober enough to drive back to decide if we should take one or two cars. Brandon said he could, since he had to leave early the next day, so we took his car. He is a saint.

Get to reception, walk inside, immediately see groom's sister I used to date. Very awkward exchange, then we walk in. Most tables are full, we see that only a few are reserved for family, so we find a table (close to the bar) and sit. Now, to explain the alcohol situation, they had gotten 2 pony kegs of Miller Lite (which i dislike) which were free, and they gave it out in 8 oz. cups. They also had full bars, but everything but the pony keg beer cost money.

Most people at this reception were older. As in above 26. The average age was probably closer to mid-30's. Of course, I can't really remember everyone I saw, as I was mostly focused on the beer in front of me and finishing it as soon as possible. But I digress. So our table was the four of us (all 23), and about 3 empty chairs.

Before the toast the bridesmaids of our cast came over and hung out for a while, drinking of course. They were upset that everyone was older also. I lost track of how many beers I had before dinner. After dinner things start getting very hazy. Also, I'm not sure of the timeline of some of the events.

I saw my h.s. Spanish teacher, and went up and had a conversation with her. I was also wasted. We were having a long conversation, during which we were interrupted, and I was dragged out onto the dancefloor to dance. This was later in the night, as most people had gone home. Pretty much the only people on the dancefloor was our cast, little kids, and the newly married couple.

Later I was talking to the groom's mom. Again, our conversation was interrupted and I was dragged away to dance. They had disposable cameras on each table for the bride and groom. By the end of the night, the only people using the cameras were the little kids and the drunkies (us). Also, as is the case whenever I get a camera, I kept taking pictures of myself. I hope they enjoy those pictures. Also, I posed with Reed and the wait staff for a picture. This was his idea, I merely obliged.

During the dollar dance, I felt it was necessary to take my beer with me. I mean, I had to wait in line, and I couldn't not drink while standing in one place. I think I was one of maybe two people to do so. I don't think the bride cared though.

I wanted to dance with the flower girl, but she unfortunately refused. I knew she would though, she was out of my league. Also, I'd just like to point out that she was the cutest little girl I've ever seen in my life and she is the standard for adorable children. And all other children are hideously grotesque monsters in comparison.

I think that's about all for the memories at the reception. It was supposed to get over at 10, but I think they let us stand and drink/dance for about another 1.5 hours or so. So we all pile into the car, drive back, and immediately after we park, Anne gets out and goes to throw up in the grass next to the parking lot.

I've spent Sunday morning until now trying to piece back together the night's events.

Best wedding ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home